The New Year is fast approaching and while resolutions are quite common, preparing for them is not… or is often forgotten. As 2018 comes to a close, this is the perfect time to look back and reflect on the past year. The beginning of the New Year provides no shortage of articles or ideas on setting goals, being prepared, and making the most of the upcoming year. Now is the time to reflect on 2018 and prepare for the New Year to come. We’ve gained a lot of knowledge over the last year, but it’s what we do with that knowledge that really matters.
Reflect on 2018
- How did I achieve my big wins?
- What did I learn from my losses?
- What would I do differently with the mistakes I’ve made?
- How can I benefit from the lessons I’ve learned?
- Where is an opportunity for me to contribute and make an impact personally or professionally in the New Year?
Set Realistic, Specific, and Attainable Goals
- Set routines rather than resolutions.
- Start with a goal you can achieve within a few weeks. Small successes will lead to larger successes which will in turn keep you motivated to set additional goals and achieve success.
- Reward your successes, no matter the size, and hold yourself accountable to the change you wish to be or want to see either at work or at home.
- Ask yourself “What are the costs of not following through with the goal I’ve set?” How will this make you feel? How will this impact the momentum you’ve gained with setting goals and achieving success?
Put the Plan in Motion Now
- Don’t wait until January to plant the seeds of change or to start working on your new goals.
- Declutter and reboot. Start the New Year with a clean organized space (at work or home) that will entice you to take on new endeavors.
- Ask for help. If you find it challenging or overwhelming to set goals and pat yourself on the back when you achieve them, find someone (a friend, spouse, teacher, colleague, mentor, etc.) to be your cheerleader. And make sure that someone is not afraid to help you stay the course when you start to drift.
This is the time to set goals, make commitments, and follow through. Stay in it, stay focused, and make 2019 your best year yet!
Laura is the Business Relations Consultant for FocusOne Solutions, focusing on a variety of needs throughout the MSP organization. She has been in the staffing industry for five years, starting her staffing career as an Account Manager with Aureus Medical Group before joining the FocusOne team in March of 2015. Prior to her current role, Laura spent her time as the Manager of Client Relations for FocusOne. When she’s not working, she enjoys spending time with family and friends and traveling. She is also the proud dog mom of her Shepard Retriever, MacDougal.